As a new year unfolds, most of us spend time reflecting on successes and missed opportunities. This often leads to the creation of resolutions for the New Year that often focus on our personal lives and betterment. While you set your own personal goals for 2018, we think it’s also important to plan for the next chapter of your marketing strategy and set some social media New Year’s resolutions for your brand! Here are several of our suggestions to get those wheels turning:
- Resolve to build a content strategy: Having a content strategy is crucial to success. Plan ahead to avoid the stress and chaos of last minute content development. When planning, be sure to include video, still the most popular and best-performing type of content out there. Note that this doesn’t just mean perfect video, but imperfect video is a huge trend as well. Ephemeral content refers to content that is only available for a limited amount of time. Think Snapchat and Instagram stories. By planning and sharing this content, you create the feeling of FOMO (fear of missing out) within your audiences which will keep them coming back for more.
- Resolve to set more SMART goals: Once you’ve got your content plan in place, it is time to set some goals for your brand. Are you looking to focus on growing your social communities? Or to engage them? Maybe a little of both? Put numbers to these goals to make them SMART and trackable. This will create accountability to you and your team to ensure that they will be met in the New Year.
- Resolve to set a budget: Perhaps you already have your 2018 budget approved and ready to go. Do you know exactly how that spend is going to break down amongst your social platforms? Do you know how this spend will translate into results? Take a deeper look at the type of content you are planning and the goals you have created. Use a portion of your budget to ensure you have a steady flow of content, while using another chunk for advertising to boost this content and elevate your social media presence.
- Resolve to explore new platforms and reevaluate old ones: There’s no doubt that exploring the latest social media platform for your fresh produce brand can be daunting, but give it a shot! Make it a resolution for your brand to try new things. In the ever-evolving world of social media, it is so important to stay on top of the latest trends. You will never know until you try, so go ahead and make that Instagram account and start posting to your Snapchat! On the flip side, reevaluate your presence across all of your current platforms and consider the success and value of each. As the role of each social media platform evolves, always consider if it makes sense for your brand to be present on that platform.
- Resolve to invest in Influencer Marketing: This is one trend that isn’t going anywhere. If you haven’t made this a significant part of your social media and marketing strategy, now is the time. Influencers are one of the proven ways to create awareness for your brand so it’s time to dip your toe into the PR pool. Start out small and explore available opportunities so you can see exactly where this can align with your brand in the bigger picture.
- Resolve to plan for a crisis: It’s a sad fact that that there will be no end to crisis’ in the New Year. Make it a resolution to discuss your brand’s strategy for handling them in your own unique way. Crises management can certainly be a challenge, so check out how DMA approaches it.
Any resolutions that your fresh produce brand is making that we left out? Let us know! From all of us at DMA, we’re wishing you a 2018 full of success and happiness.